Independent Contractor Services
Find out how much more you could bring home each
month. Contact us free on 0800 195 3750 or via email
Changes for VAT registered contractors from 1st April 2010
Posted Mar 30, 2010
Any contractors registered for VAT should be aware of a number of changes to the VAT system, which take effect from 1st April 2010.
VAT changes from 1st April 2010
1. Any VAT-registered contractors with turnovers of £100,000 or more (excl. VAT) will need to submit their VAT returns online, and also pay their VAT liabilities electronically.
2. Any new businesses registering for VAT from 1st April will automatically need to deal with VAT electronically from the start, regardless of turnover.
3. All VAT cheque payments sent via post are only deemed to be 'received' by HMRC once cleared funds reach HMRC's bank account, rather than the date with the cheque was actually received. Businesses are therefore urged to allow enough time for cheque payments to reach HMRC, or late payment surcharges may be applied.
4. Any business or person issuing a VAT-inclusive invoice, when they are not entitled to charge VAT, will be subject to a new VAT 'wrongdoing penalty', which will be a percentage of the unlawfully charged amount of VAT on the invoice.
5. The VAT registration threshold rises from £68,000 to £70,000 from 1st April 2010. The de-registration limit rises to £68,000.
You can register to file your VAT returns online here, or your accountant may do this on your behalf, so check first.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone