Insurance Cover for Contractors
PI Insurance for contractors + public and employers' liability cover - find out more and get an online quote.
As a company director, can I keep my home address private?
Posted Nov 8, 2011
Following the introduction of the Companies Act 2006, limited company directors can provide a 'service address' to appear on the public record, and keep their residential address private.
The Companies Act was the largest piece of legislation ever created, and in an earlier implementation removed the obligation of limited companies to appoint a company secretary.
Another small measure contained within the Act can provide an extra degree of privacy to any limited company contractors who would prefer to use another address for company-related paperwork. This could be your accountant's address if they offer such a service, or a mail forwarding service for example.
As a result of the new rules, which took effect from 1st October 2009; if you are a company director, you must provide both your residential address and a service address to Companies House.
For many directors, the service and residential address are the same, but you may prefer to use a serviced office or other address to appear on the public register for privacy reasons.
You can choose any address as your service address, but you must be able to receive documents at this address, and it cannot be a PO Box of DX number.
If you do provide the same address for both residential and service purposes, the fact that the two are the same is also 'protected information'.
You can find out more about directors' addresses at Companies House.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone