Independent Contractor Services
Find out how much more you could bring home each
month. Contact us free on 0800 195 3750 or via email
New HMRC self assessment tax return penalties revealed
Posted Sep 13, 2011
HMRC has introduced a new range of penalties for late tax return submissions and payments.
The changes will take effect from this autumn, and will apply for tax returns for the 2010/11 tax year, and beyond.
Self Assessment deadlines unchanged
The self assessment deadlines themselves remain unchanged: you should ensure your paper return has been posted in advance of the 31st October deadline, and online returns must be submitted by 31st January.
The deadline for settling your tax liabilities is also 31st January, irrespective of how you have submitted the actual return.
Late filing penalties
There is an initial fixed £100 for late returns, whether or not any tax is owed on the account.
After 3 months, further daily penalties are applied at £10 per day (to a maximum of £900).
After 6 months, a further penalty is applied - 5% of the tax due, or &300, whichever is the greater.
After 12 months, another 5% / £300 penalty will apply, however the penalty may be increased to 100% of the overdue tax, in serious cases.
Late payment penalties
In addition to the new charges for late filing, there are also penalties for late payment of unpaid tax:
You will be charged 5% of the unpaid tax at 30 days, 6 months, and 12 months.
Naturally, interest will also be charged on top of these penalties.
You can find out more about HMRC's new self assessment penalties here.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone