London top, Northern Ireland bottom of umbrella contractor pay rankings
Posted Apr 25, 2012
Data from the UK's largest umbrella provider, Parasol, shows how much contractors can typically earn in each region of the UK.
According to the latest report from Parasol Group, there is a massive gap between average pay between the highest and lowest paid regions.
London leads the pay rankings
Unsurprisingly, the best place to work as a contractor (earnings wise) is Greater London, where average earnings for umbrella contractors is £65,811 per year, and the worst place to work is Northern Ireland, where the average annualised rate is a mere £23,847 - a significantly lower figure than any other region.
After London, the South West and South East are lucrative places to work, yielding £62,992 and £61,106 respectively.
The average annualised rates for the other UK regions are; Wales (£57,334), Scotland (£53,298), West Midlands (£51,711), North East (£51,606), North West (£49,191), and East Midlands (£45,366).
Overall, the average hourly rate for umbrella contractors has fallen to £32.39 this year compared to £33.12 last year.
A boom for contractors in Wales?
Commenting on the latest snapshot of pay data, Derek Kelly, MD of Parasol Group said that the disparity between regions was very interesting.
"Welsh contractors and freelancers do seem to have more earning power than the regional average for permanent workers suggests. Obviously there is demand for certain skills in Wales which is driving the market and this could be a precursor to growth in the Welsh economy. Central Government has made investment in Wales in recent years, with more to come in the shape of 6 enterprise zones, and this will only mean more opportunities for Welsh contractors and freelancers."
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone