Professional Indemnity Insurance
PI Insurance for contractors + public and employers' liability cover - find out more.
Mobile Commerce contractors in high demand by retail sector
Posted Feb 2, 2012
Another survey points to the growth in demand for IT contractors with mobile (M-Commerce) skills over the past year.
Following on from reports published over the past few months by JM Digital and ReThink Recruitment, the latest giant group survey shows that the number of contractors in the telecoms sector has increased by 43% since the same time in 2011.
Mobile Commerce contractors in demand
The percentage of IT contractors working in the telecoms sector is now 17.4%, up from 12.2% twelve months ago, according to the report.
The survey's authors suggest that much of this increase is due to heavy investment in mobile technology by the retail industry, which has seen a 16.5% increase in online shopping receipts in the year leading up to December 2011.
Despite the economic downturn, the growth in online shopping (at the expense of the High Street) has led to a new frontier being opened up, akin to the Wild West in the 19th Century, with all the major retailers fighting for a share of what is effectively a brand new market.
Matthew Brown, MD of giant, commented: "A surprising number of retailers don't offer e-commerce functionality. With consumers becoming more demanding about how they shop, and legacy systems often a serious bottleneck, investment in IT is key to gaining competitive advantage."
Higher rates for the skilled contractors
These findings echo those from a report by ReThink Recruitment in December last year,
Iain Blair, Director at ReThink said at the time that retailers are determined not to be left behind by the mobile shopping revolution:
"Some retailers feel that they missed out on the initial e-commerce land grab and that they are not going to make the same mistake with mCommerce."
Unsurprisingly, the surge in demand for IT professionals with digital skills has led to higher rates for contractors with the mobile experience.
ReThink says that contractors working in m-commerce roles are likely to be paid at least 20% more than contractors in more general e-commerce roles.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone