Number of medical contractors surges, due to health industry shake-up
Posted Nov 22, 2011
The number of doctors and nurses working as contractors has increased significantly over the past two years, according to a new study.
The research, carried out by umbrella company FPS, shows that the increased number of health professionals working on a contract basis reflects the significant employment changes that are taking place within the health industry.
According to statistics collected from over 3,600 healthcare contractors, the number of young doctors and nurses (aged between 18 and 29) working on a contract basis has increased by 90% since 2009.
'Mid-career' health professionals (aged between 29 and 49) are more likely to hold on to their permanent roles, and are more reluctant to work on a contract basis.
This, perhaps, reflects trends in other industries, where the perceived risks of starting a freelance career grow as people gain more responsibilities and commitments.
Interestingly, the trend has not spread to the pharmaceutical sector, with 26% fewer pharmacists taking on contract work in 2011, compared to 2009.
Commenting on the findings, Simon Last-Sutton, MD of FPS, said that the profile of contractors working in the health industry had changed significantly in recent years, possible due to the fact that there are fewer permanent roles available to graduate medical professionals.
More older medical professionals are also taking on contract roles, possibly as a lifestyle choice.
FPS says that it is only in the mid-age group where they have seen a drop in the number of contract professionals, most likely due to job security reasons.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone