LinkedIn gaining ground, but old fashioned CV not dead yet
Posted Apr 16, 2012
Although LinkedIn is growing at a rapid rate, a survey by an online recruiter suggests that the business networking site has not killed off the traditional CV, just yet.
According the a poll by webrecruit, 42% of respondents do not believe that LinkedIn will replace the CV, compared to 32% who believe that it will.
What is LinkedIn?
LinkedIn is easily the world's largest professional network, with over 150 million members across the globe. The site claims to have over 9 million members in the UK alone.
The site enables users to create an online 'resume' which details work and personal experience, goals, and contact information. Members can build up a network of contacts, based on previous workplaces and places of education.
You can also access a large number of sector-specific groups (such as 'Oracle Contractors', or 'Contract Engineering') to keep in touch with relevant news, and take part in discussions.
LinkedIn also has an integrated job search function, including thousands of contract roles. The site launched a new plugin last year which enables users to apply for jobs direct with clients, if they have signed up for the service.
The future of social media recruitment
For IT contractors, usage of LinkedIn is likely to be far higher than in other sectors. In fact, a PCG poll back in 2010 revealed that 43% of its members believed that LinkedIn was a 'vital' business tool - a number that is bound to have increased further since then.
Although LinkedIn is by far the most used business social media platform, a recent study suggested that Twitter had grown in importance as a source of contract work. Twitter followers appear to be three times as likely to apply to a job posting from a contact on Twitter, than from a LinkedIn connection.
Commenting on his survey findings, founder of webrecruit, Phil Roebuck said that job seekers are using smarter methods when it comes for applying for jobs:
"Whether that's capitalising on LinkedIn's functions, using Pinterest to upload their portfolio or writing a blog to provide extra depth. This poll has shown just how online recruitment has embraced social media and gives further insight into how job hunting trends are changing."
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone