Contract length more important than job security for IT contractors
Posted Jan 16, 2009
A leading contractor recruitment company says that job security was not a leading priority for IT contractors. Contract length and financial reward are the most important considerations when taking out a new contract.
The survey, carried out by Parity, encouraged its contractor candidates to reveal their priorities for the year ahead.
The most important factor for 20% of contractors was the length of the IT contract on offer. 19% said that financial reward was the most important factor. Location came third with 18%. Just 17% of those polled said that job security was the most important factor. Finding the right team came next with 10% and "presenting a professional challenge" came in with 16%.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, when Parity asked the same question of its permanent candidates, an even smaller percentage of permies put "job security" as their number one priority when choosing a new role. "Finding the right team" came first with permies (which was the least important factor for contractors).
Alan Rommel, MD at Parity Resources, said:
"IT job hunters are still prioritising finding the right job for their needs, instead of simply taking any job that seems secure and well paid.
"Newspaper headlines shout about dwindling employment prospects, but there are still jobs available for those with the right skills, qualifications or experience - so long as you know where to look."
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone