Independent Contractor Services
Find out how much more you could bring home each
month. Contact us free on 0800 195 3750 or via email
IT contractor recruitment via agencies
Posted Jul 26, 2010
The majority of IT contractors find work via recruitment agencies - either directly, or more typically via contract positions advertised on online job boards.
In this article, we look at how agencies operate, as the middlemen between end clients and contractors.
How the agency recruitment process works
1. Whether as a 'preferred supplier' to a larger end-client, or dealing on a specific vacancy basis, agencies be asked to source contractors to fill voids in IT projects.
2. The client will provide a resource specification (often with the assistance of the agency), which will detail the headcount required, skills and experience, the budget, and any deadlines which may apply.
3. The agent will then attract CVs from contractors interested in such roles - either from an existing database, or by advertising the role(s) on the main contractor job boards, such as Jobserve.
4. The agent will 'sort' the CVs until a shortlist remains, which will be passed on to the end client. In tough economic times, some roles will attract hundreds of responses from candidates.
5. The client will typically interview 2 or 3 candidates for each role.
6. The successful contractor(s) will be offered the role at a certain rate (the amount charged to the client minus the agency commission)
7. Quite often, terms are negotiated at this stage - typically revolving around the hourly / daily rate to be paid.
8. Terms are agreed - including the contract rate, start date, and duration of the contract.
9. A contract is signed between the client and agency, and between the agency and the contractor's limited company, or umbrella company scheme.
10. The contract runs, according to the agreed terms, until a renewal is pending, or the contract comes to an end.
For further information, read why do most IT contractors work via agencies?, and how to deal with contractor recruitment agencies.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone