Most IT professionals prefer stability of permanent employment
Posted Apr 24, 2012
A survey of over 3,000 IT professionals shows that people working within the industry are earning more, but working longer. Interestingly, despite the higher rates of pay offered by contracting, most prefer to remain in permanent work.
IT pros working harder, for higher pay
The IT Job Board's annual candidate survey showed that IT staff are working harder than ever. Just over one third are spending more time at work compared to last year, with 54% putting in the same hours as they did in 2011.
To compensate for this apparent surge in working hours, around half of respondents were earning the same amount as they did in 2011, but 37% had received a pay rise over the past 12 months.
52% of respondents said they would be happy to receive between £15,000 and £45,000 per year, compared to the industry average of £40,000 for IT professionals in general.
IT pros prefer security of permanent work
Despite the average annual contract income equating to around £79,000 according to the job board, 95% of respondents to the survey said they were actively looking for permanent rather than contract work.
Alexandra Farrell, MD of The IT Job Board, said that "IT pros obviously favour the stability of permanent work, despite the higher pay levels for contractors. I'd argue this is a sign of the times and our current economic climate."
Lower appetite for overseas IT roles
Interestingly, the number of IT job candidates who said they would consider working abroad has fallen to 54% compared to 67% in 2011.
Farrell concluded: "It seems there is an increased confidence in the UK IT job market, which is positive to see and offers real opportunities for the sector's workers. Of course, another possible factor is a lack of confidence in Europe's economic prospects, which has discouraged candidates from taking the risk of moving overseas."
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone