Professional Indemnity Insurance
PI Insurance for contractors + public and employers' liability cover - find out more.
Surge in demand for contract interim managers
Posted Mar 9, 2012
Over the past five years, the amount of work billed by interim managers has almost doubled, according to a recent Ipsos MORI survey.
Strong private sector demand for interims
The survey, which was carried out by the Interim Management Association established that the total amount billed by its members had risen significantly every year since 2006 (2010 aside).
According to the poll, the average contract duration had increased from 108 to 166 days from 2006 to 2011.
In 2009, 55% of all interim contracts were in the public sector, compared to a mere 34% - an unsurprising result of across the board cost cuts.
Interims also earn more in the private sector. The current average daily rate is £644 compared to £543 in the public sector.
Most contracts assigned to interim managers are in the financial sector (39% of placements), followed by assignments in chemical, pharma and biotech (11% of placements).
The benefits of contract interims for organisations
Commenting on the figures, Jason Atkinson, chair of the IMA outlined the benefits interim managers can provide:
"Organisations are increasingly turning to interim managers, because they are cost-effective and produce results quickly. These 'top flight' executives provide board level independent business leaders or project managers, who are experts in their field, with a track record of quantifiable achievement. And they can be turned on and turned off immediately to meet demand. Compare that with the lengthy process of hiring someone on a full-time basis and then having a permanent and - often expensive - extra member of staff."
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone