Professional Indemnity Insurance
PI Insurance for contractors + public and employers' liability cover - find out more.
Improved market for interim management as rates return to pre-recession levels
Posted Jul 25, 2011
Interim Managers are enjoying the first sustained improvement in market conditions since 2008, according to the latest Interim Management Survey findings.
The 6th Annual Survey was carried out by the Institute of Interim Management, and used feedback from over 1,500 members of the interim community to produce a comprehensive overview of the market for interim managers in 2011.
The Survey shows that interim managers are experiencing an upturn in rates and billed days, and a reduction in the length of gaps between assignments, compared to 2010.
The past year marks the first period of sustained improvement since the recession took hold in 2008.
Findings from IIM Survey
At the end of June 2011, 60% of respondents said they were currently working - compared to 53% and 51% in each half of 2010 respectively.
Encouraging, the gap between assignments has fallen, with the average gap down to 2.6 months compared to 4.1 months in the final half of 2010.
LinkedIn is seen by interims as the leading online site for assignments, with 1,426 votes, followed some way behind by Exec Appointments, Jobsite, Jobserve and Monster.
The average 'headline' day-rate is now £638, which is a higher figure than 2009 (£627), with the average number of days billed over a year (158) also returning to pre-recession levels.
There is a gap between the genders - with female interims receiving on average 13% less - £580 compared to £654 for their male counterparts.
In terms of business structures, 92% of those surveyed operated via their own limited companies, with 5% using an umbrella company, and a mere 3% working as sole traders or via an LLP.
Most interims are VAT-registered, with 64% on the 'standard' VAT scheme, and 25% on the Flat Rate scheme.
You can download the full 68 page Survey here (PDF).
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone