Free impartial start-up advice from PCG|
The association supporting contractors offers helpful advice to anyone setting up a freelance business.
Download their Guide to Freelancing from pcg.org.uk.
Start-Up Guide :: Finding and securing IT contracts
Posted Feb 20, 2008
Once you have decided that IT contracting is the life for you, the next step is to find your first IT contract.
You may be in the lucky position where you can secure work via existing contacts - either working via an agency, or direct with a client. As you grow more experienced as a contractor, chances are you will build up a network of contacts over time.
For most first timers however, the best route to securing that first contract is via recruitment agencies.
There are a number of key IT contract sites out there - the most famous being Jobserve. Agencies will post all their vacancies on job portals - this makes life a lot easier for contract-seekers.
You can read more about the IT contract search process in our guide, How to find IT contract work.
Once you find a position of interest, you can simply email your CV to the recruiter. You should take care to create a concise CV, possibly tailoring it to each role you apply for.
Find out more about CV preparation in our article, How to write a scorching IT contractor CV.
Once you have applied for a role, we'd highly recommend being pro-active and calling the agency to check up on the status of your application.
Although the IT contractor market seems to be holding up quite well currently (despite the 'credit crunch'), when the economy is cooler, there will be a large number of applicants for each role, so you need to go that extra step to secure the contract.
Hopefully, your CV will attract the interest of the agency and the end client. You will then be called in for an interview. Another important step of your journey towards securing that precious contract, you can read our IT Contractor Interview Tips.
For more on your relationship with recruitment agencies, try our How to deal with agencies guide.
Finally, when you have secured the IT contract you have been after, you will need to negotiate your starting rate, and study the terms of the proposed contract you will sign.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone