Professional Indemnity Insurance
PI Insurance for contractors + public and employers' liability cover - find out more.
Demand for digital contractors continues to soar
Posted May 11, 2012
The latest edition of the JM Digital Index shows that the demand for contractors with digital skills is booming, with the demand for both permanent and contract workers up by 18% since the end of 2011.
The demand for digital IT staff by financial organisations for the development of new trading platforms and mobile banking services continues to be strong, but has slowed to an extent over the last quarter, reflecting the desire of investment banks to reign in spending since the start of 2012.
Demand remains strongest in the retail sector, where firms continue to heavily invest in e-commerce and mobile technology.
The UK, and London in particular are seen as attractive places to invest by many of world's leading technology companies, including Google, Cisco, Intel and Facebook, who all committed resources to 'TechCity', the new dynamic technology hub - based in the capital.
According to the survey data, developers, user experience designers and project managers are all in high demand, as are individuals with UI and UK skills in particular.
The supply of suitably skilled digital contractors appears to be in short supply, as candidates with social media, mobile and ecommerce skills are "snapped up almost as soon as they become available".
Outside of these specific skill areas, other digital contractors wait on average a mere two weeks before they are placed on a new assignment.
Average rates have remained fairly constant over the last quarter - iPhone and Android developers can command the highest rates, followed closely by those with specific Flex or Silverlight expertise.
Commenting on the latest quarterly report, David Young, head of JM Digital said:
"If you are an IT contractor, the digital sector is the place to be at the moment. Especially when you consider that digital IT contractors with experience in mobile/tablet platforms or social media can now be earning as much as £500 per day."
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone