Independent Contractor Services
Find out how much more you could bring home each
month. Contact us free on 0800 195 3750 or via email
Why do most contractors work via agencies?
Posted Sep 28, 2009
Most IT contractors contract via recruitment agencies.
Although a significant number contract directly with clients, why don't more contractors go it alone and cut out the middle man?
Ten reasons why most contractors use agencies:
1. Most clients prefer to outsource the recruitment of contractors to agencies, so you may not have a choice in many cases. This is the fundamental reason why most contractors do not work directly for clients.
2. Agencies handle the contract negotiation and administration with the client company, so you don't have to get involved.
3. Agencies deal with all payment issues with clients. You shouldn't have to chase a client for late payment.
4. You won't necessarily secure a better rate for your skill-set if you contract direct for a client (although, significantly, you will not be paying an agency any commission!)
5. Even if you find a role directly via an old colleague, you may well be required to contract via the client's agency.
6. Many companies (and most of the larger ones) use a list of preferred supplier agencies to resource contractors. You will only be able to work for such clients via these agencies.
7. Agencies will market your CV for suitable contract roles when they arise, so you don't have to (more about how some agencies 'market' contractors in a future article!)
8. Cold calling potential clients directly can take a lot of time and energy, and will require a certain amount of sales flair - something which doesn't come naturally to many of us.
9. Agencies will deal with all contract-related issues (between you and them, and the agency and client). However, it is still worth seeking specialist IR35 advice before signing anything.
10. Many contractors do not have access to the contacts and clients that recruitment agents do, and may find it hard to secure direct contract work.
We will look at how contractors can secure more direct contract work in an upcoming feature.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone