Professional Indemnity Insurance
PI Insurance for contractors + public and employers' liability cover - find out more.
Demand for contactors up 11% during first quarter of 2011
Posted Apr 21, 2011
The latest CWJobs quarterly update on the IT jobs market suggests that there has been a significant rise in IT contract vacancies during the first quarter of 2011.
The report, published by CWJobs and JobsAdWatch, makes pleasing reading for almost all - with a 5.7% rise in demand for permanent IT professionals, to sit alongside a 11.1% increase in the number of IT contract vacancies advertised.
Contract rates have continued to rise for five quarters in a row; the report shows a 2.1% rise in median rates compared to the same period in 2010.
As in previous quarters, this report reveals a split in fortunes between North and South - perhaps due to the fact that over 80% of all contract vacancies being advertised are based in the South of the country.
London and the Midlands saw a rise in demand for contractors of over 10% during the last quarter, compared to drops in demand in the North and Scotland.
Software houses and financial institutions continue to consume the vast amount of contractor resources - making up 46.4% and 35.8% of demand during the first quarter of 2011. Unsurprisingly, there were nearly 30% fewer public sector contract vacancies advertised in Q1.
As most seasoned contractors will know, freelance staff are often the first to be let go when the UK enters a recession, and also the first to benefit when more prosperous times return. Is this the start of a sustained recovery for contracting, or just another false dawn?
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone