Professional Indemnity Insurance
PI Insurance for contractors + public and employers' liability cover - find out more.
New IT contract market rate tool launched
Posted Nov 17, 2011
The IT Job Board has released a new IT salary / contract rate monitor, which provides regional contract rate data, and the skills most in demand at any one time.
This online tool is interactive, and provides a graphical representation of the permanent and contract markets according to region, and skills, both by rate and by demand.
600 contract and permanent salaries are pulled in from the ITJobsWatch site, which is also the source of Contract Eye's own Contract Rate Checker. The new tool breaks then down the rates by region and skill.
Current contract rate trends
According to the monitor, 35% of IT jobs currently advertised are contract roles, and 65% permanent. The South, and London in particular, account for the lion's share of both perm and contract roles.
To give an example of the dominance of London in both markets, there are currently 605 contract ASP.NET contract roles advertised in London, compared to 68 in the West Midlands, and 29 in the North East.
Unsurprisingly, there are also significant rate variations between skills and regions;
The average salary/rate for a JAVA expert in London is £55,000 p.a./£475 per day. In the South West, the figures are £38,500 p.a./£338 per day.
Similarly, a C++ specialist can command on average £60,000 p.a./£575 per day in the capital, compared to just £34,500 p.a./£275 per day in the West Midlands.
Optimism for the IT industry
The online tool also provides a benchmarking tool, which highlights that there are currently 1.52 million people in the IT sector - which represents an impressive 1 in every 18 employed people.
Encouragingly, IT as an industry is forecast to grow at 2.19 per year over the next year, almost five times faster than the UK average.
It also highlights market trends - indicating the latest hot topics and skills in demand, which currently include: NoSQL, social media, cloud computing and mobility.
You can try the IT Salary/Rate Monitor here.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance - Essential cover from Hiscox
- Helix Management Ltd - Up to 90% retention. Same day payments
- Parasol - the UK's favourite umbrella company
- Qdos - IR35 experts - Providers of low cost contractor insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- Umbrella Company - 12,000 contractors can't be wrong!
- SJD Accountancy - UK's largest Accountants to Contractors
- Together we're stronger! - Join PCG, representing contractors
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Free IR35 & Tax Review - Call ICS on 0800 195 3750
- InTouch Contractor Accounting - Clients love our personal service
- Contractor Mortgages - Based on your daily rate alone